Monday, March 25, 2013

Un Chien Andalou Emulation

I chose to emulate quite possibly the most prolific work of surrealist cinema in the arthouse world, Un Chien Andalou. I've always been drawn to surrealist works of art because they offer a much different take on common conventions in the art world. I decided to use a sort of pseudo animation to create my emulation, blending elements of live action and animation to add even more of a surrealist feeling to the piece. I was inspired by a Japanese style I saw on the internet long ago (and unfortunately can not track down now) known as Gekki-mation, which popped up in the 1970's in a Japanese children's show. Gekki-mation used drawn and painted backdrops and props as well as a combination of people wearing life-sized drawings as costumes and actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment