Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Beginnings

To commemorate the first post of my blog, I'm posting one of my first poems. Enjoy!

Cavities

My teeth are decaying
at an unexpected rate.

My dentate are a ghost town,
a small collection of former homes
hidden beneath a mossy wood.
Structures cast aside,

once well maintained and cared for,
now long lost in the depths of consciousness.

Windows are fracturing,
doorways collapsing.
Shingles are peeling,
porches folding.

I came upon this tightly knit community
of twenty-nine buildings,

eager to restore each one.
Am I too late?
Will the damage done to these neglected bicuspids
give way to their evident demise?

I hopefully can repair this once great civilization
before the plaster disintegrates

into the soft soil from which
they were built upon.


No comments:

Post a Comment